Natural gas appliances are pretty standard in most restaurant kitchens and foodservice facilities—so it’s a good idea to know how to keep them operating safely and at peak performance.

Follow these tips to reduce your repair bills and stay safe:

  • If you smell gas, call your local utility or the fire department immediately. Open windows and, if necessary, evacuate.
  • Always have a licensed technician inspect, install and repair your natural gas appliances, and always follow the manufacturer’s instructions for maintenance and cleaning.
  • Make sure your natural gas appliances have been certified by the Canadian Standards Association or the Canadian Gas Association. This is especially important if you’re buying used restaurant equipment.
  • If you notice a yellow or irregular flame, soot around a burner, or have a pilot light that won’t stay lit, call your service person for assistance.
  • Ensure there’s adequate airflow around your natural gas appliances. Clear away boxes, food prep items and anything else that could block vents.
  • If there is a flood and your appliances have gotten wet, they’re not safe to use until a licensed HVAC technician has inspected them.
  • Keep any flammable materials (rags, cleaning supplies, cooking oil) away from natural gas appliances.

Do you have any questions about using natural gas appliances safely? Leave them in the comments section, or call your local natural gas provider.

Image credit: stevendepolo